Install YNAB on another computer
You can install YNAB on as many computers (and operating systems) as you'd like as long as it's for your personal/household use. This includes Windows PCs and Macs, so your same license key will work on both operating systems. More details about this can be found in our End User License Agreement.
- Download YNAB to your new (or additional) computer and run the installer by double-clicking the file.
- Once installed YNAB will prompt you for your activation key. (You can Find your key here if you don't have it.)
Steam users: You can retrieve your key by way of Help>About>Copy Activation Key to Clipboard in the YNAB menu.
Mac App Store purchasers: Please forward your Apple store receipt as proof of purchase so we can provide you with a key.
Student key holders: Contact us if you aren't able to locate your key in the email we sent you after you applied.
- If you had your budget set to Cloud Sync then getting the budget to your new computer is an easy 4 step process.
- If you did not use Cloud Sync on your budget then you'll need to manually transfer your entire budget folder to your new computer.
- If you no longer want to keep YNAB on the computer you started with then you can safely uninstall it after you've succesfully moved your budget to the new computer.
- If you intend to sell or give away the computer you removed YNAB from in step #5 then login to your Dropbox account Security settings and unlink it to effectively remove all Dropbox files from that computer but not from your Dropbox account where you'll still need them.
If you don't use Cloud Sync (where your budget will be safely backed up on Dropbox and easy to get back) we strongly recommend you back up your budget to a safe location on a regular basis. We don’t have access to your budget files and cannot back them up for you. You will need to manage this very important task.